I've just finished reading an article about Ricardo Portillo, the referee that died after being in a coma for a week caused by a punch to the face from a player that he gave a yellow card to. Reading all of these articles really angers me, just one person that shows a lack of sportmanship gives the whole sport and its athletes a bad reputation. Sports are suppose to be a fun way to exercise. Is there something that we can do to teach athletes and our future students more about sportsmanship?
I hope to be a basketball coach one day and I don't want any of my players to act like this. There is no reason to get angry enough to attack someone, referee or player, because of a game. I love sports as much as everyone else but I think there is way to much violence in them nowadays, there is a difference between being agressive and being violent.
It's sad that someone had to lose their life because of a loss of control. Do you all think that there is a growing amount of violence in sports? Do you think sports video games or professional sports have an influence over the amount of violence? Remember that this man was refing a recreational league game of teenagers. The attacker was a 17 year old male.
As a future physical educator I think that it is important that we include etiquette and sportsmanship into our lessons. I'd love to hear the rest of your thoughts.
I totally agree with you about teaching sportmanship in physical education. By having good sportsmanship it makes the game funner for everyone involved. The story about the boy punching the ref really hit close to me, in high school my cousin punched a ref during a lacrosse game because the ref gave him a red card. It's scary to think that he could have killed that ref. I think that by teaching proper ediquette it also will help students in the real world with how to react to deifferent situations.
ReplyDeleteI think we do need to teach sportsmanship. I also think that coaches need to be able to realize when players are getting frustrated and pull them out to calm down when they see it. I just heard about this last night. Did they say anything about what happened to the player consequence wise?
ReplyDeleteWithout a doubt we should teach sportsmanship. Even though that story was an extremely rare, I still feel like it is an important issue to address. Sportsmanship will transfer into their everyday life whether they work in an office or play professional sports. Heck, even in Dr. Kovacs class he shows us to respect the other team. I think it is a huge part of being a physical education teacher.
ReplyDeleteI think we really need to teach sportsmanship at a young age. I also think that coaches are responsible for their players actions. They need to be able to read their players and be able to realize when players are frustrated and are getting mad, so they can pull them off the field and let them calm down before entering the game again. This shouldn't be happening and actions should be taken.
ReplyDeleteits very important to keep sportsmanship in physical education because not only is this a good thing when playing sports but also in a regular setting working with others. Students must learn proper etiquette when it comes to treating others. students must treat others with respect as they would want back. by not practicing proper sportsmanship it may cause problems during the game which could result in players being kicked out of the game.
ReplyDelete